We are responsible of providing the facilities for the storage and flow of information, as well as improving methods and procedures that allow systematizing information in a standardized way, offering the necessary tools and articulation of capacities for the adequate management of the Germplasm Bank information.
The following are functions of the Genetic Resources Information Systems Area:
- To direct the systematization of the information on the collection, conservation, inventories, characterization, monitoring and evaluation of the accessions that are conserved at the National Bank of Germplasm of INIA in coordination with the curators.
- To develop computer and communication tools to support the management of collection, ordering, analysis and systematization of genetic resources information.
- To collaborate with the institutions that are part of the national conservation system in the development and application of computer and communication tools for the management of genetic resources.
- To provide mechanisms for consultation and access to information that serves as input for the development of new fields of interest in research and management of information on genetic resources of agrobiodiversity and associated biodiversity, as well as the formulation of strategies, action plans and policies at the national level.
The lines of research in the area are:
LINE OF RESEARCH 1
- Database administration
- Development and Analysis of Computer (Information) Systems
LINE OF RESEARCH 2
- Development of applications for PC and mobile devices
- Use of Geographic Information Systems for the management of genetic resources
This project will allow the standardization and centralization of information, the creation of the “Genetic Resources Information System (SIRGE-INIA)”, which will provide the facilities for the information flow in a standardized way, offering mechanisms for consultation, access and articulation of the information management capacities of the Germplasm Bank and other conservation, characterization and evaluation activities of the Subdivision of Genetic Resources. This tool will use the Internet as a means of accessing databases, virtual catalogues, publications, etc. from anywhere with access to a computer and an Internet connection.
RESEARCHERS IN THE AREA
PhD. Cinthya Zorrilla Cisneros
Eng. Luis Guerra Arévalo
Specialist in Genetic Resources