We are responsible for the use and promotion of cellular and molecular biology, genetic engineering and biochemistry, as well as modern biotechnological techniques, under biosecurity standards, aimed at raising the technological level of agricultural research at the national level.
We carry out creative and innovative research projects with the purpose of generating knowledge and innovations in support of the agrarian scientific community.
We have 3 specific areas for the execution of our activities (Area of Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Area of Biotechnological Development and Area of Biotechnological Services) and specialized laboratories.
ORGANIZATIONAL CHART OF THE SUBDIVISION OF BIOTECHNOLOGY
SUBDIVISION OF BIOTECHNOLOGY
AREA OF BIOTECHNOLOGICAL SERVICES
AREA OF BIOTECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT
DRUGS AND NUTRACUTICS BIOTECHNOLOGY
AREA OF COMPUTATIONAL BIOLOGY AND BIOINFORMÁTICA
FUNCTIONS OF THE SUBDIVISION OF BIOTECHNOLOGY
- To generate, adapt and use biotechnological tools in support of the conservation and characterization, identification of useful genes of the genetic resources of agrobiodiversity, production of seeds and breeding stock, and genetic improvement programs of other INIA Directorates.
- To foster the development of basic and applied research in cell biology, molecular biology, genetic engineering and biochemistry, as well as modern biotechnological techniques in animal and plant species, both within INIA and in collaboration with other research institutes and universities.
- To develop projects to promote research, training and technology transfer in biotechnology.
- To develop and promote biotechnological research under biosecurity measures, respecting intellectual property rights and establishing the agreements required, to enjoy free availability and access to inputs, processes and products.
- To develop and implement biotechnology services in the functions of its competence, for the generation and improvement of processes and products of the agricultural activity.
- To provide the scientific and technical information generated by research in biotechnology to the Directorate of Agricultural Innovation Management.
- To coordinate with the respective institutional area the protection of the biotechnological products and processes developed by the Subdivision of Biotechnology.
- To propose guidelines, standards, directives, manuals and issue technical opinions, in the subjects of its competence.
- To comply with other functions assigned by the Directorate, in accordance with its functional scope and in accordance with current legal provisions.
SCOPE OF ACTION
PERSONNEL AT THE SUBDIVISION
Biol. Ph.D. Dina Lida Gutiérrez Reynoso
Director of the Subdivision
Mrs. Elizabeth Cesár Forcelledo
Secretary of the Subdivision