“”On November 12, 1986, INIPA created the National Genetic Resources Service – SENARGEN through Resolution No. 576-86-INIPA granting it the responsibility to provide support to national programs in aspects related to genetic resources”.
We are responsible for the conservation, characterization, monitoring and evaluation of the genetic resources of agrobiodiversity in coordination with other public, private and academic institutions interested in the study of plant genetic resources, animal genetic resources, microorganisms and associated biodiversity.
We carry out research with the purpose of generating knowledge regarding genetic diversity, centers of origin and domestication, and potential uses. The results of our research have an impact on food security, pre-breeding and conservation of agroecosystems.
ORGANIZATION OF THE SUBDIRECTION OF GENETIC RESOURCES
The current structure of the SubDirection of Genetic Resources is shown in the organizational chart
SUBDIRECTION OF GENETIC RESOURCES
AREA OF AGRICULTURAL AND FOREST PLANT GENETIC RESOURCES
AREA OF ZOOGENETIC RESOURCES
AREA OF GENETIC RECORDS OF MICROORGANISMS AND ASSOCIATED BIODIVERSITY
AREA OF STATISTICS AND BIOMETRICS
AREA OF SYSTEMS OF GENETIC RESOURCE INFORMATION
AREA OF ASSESSMENT USE OF GENETIC RESOURCES
AREA OF TAXONOMY AND PHYLOGENY
Functions of the Genetic Resources SubDirection
- Coordinate, promote and execute the development of activities related to agrobiodiversity, in order to preserve, conserve, characterize, document and monitor genetic resources, in ex situ conditions such as in situ; valuing the traditional knowledge associated to them promoting their sustainable use.
- Coordinate the research activities on genetic resources in the INIA Agricultural Experiment Stations, as well as in areas of study of institutional interest.
- Formulate agricultural innovation projects in genetic resources. Taking into account the needs of conservation and development of sustainable use alternatives.
- Develop and participate in projects to promote research, training and technology transfer in genetic resources.
- To preserve, document and expand the genetic base of the INIA germplasm bank, in coordination with related institutions, within the scope of its competence.
- Provide the scientific and technical information generated by the research on genetic resources to the Directorate of Management of Agrarian Innovation.
- To propose guidelines, norms, directives, manuals and issue technical opinion, in the subjects of its competence.
- Fulfill other functions assigned to the Directorate, in accordance with its functional scope and in accordance with current legislation.
SCOPE OF ACTION
PERSONNEL OF THE SUBDIVISION OF
Biol. PhD. Cinthya Zorrilla Cisneros
Director of the Subdivision of Genetic Resources
Mrs. María Bustamante Díaz
Secretary of the Subdivision of Genetic Resources
Bach. Karen Cubas Díaz
Administrative Assistant of PNIA Projects